Friday, March 2, 2012

Mozarabic Friday

Place yourself at Toledo: in the cathedral’s Mozarabic Rite chapel the faithful, silent, stand; silently, at this penitential season, the priest and his ministers advance to God’s altar; still without speaking, the priest bows awhile in prayer, then ascends the altar steps, kisses it, and goes to stand at his seat, where at length he first opens his mouth and salutes the congregation.  All attend to the readings that now begin.  A lector reads out the first lessson at the lectern; after he finishes, another takes his place.  The Old Testament lessons ended, the choir chants; a third lector reads the Epistle.  Next the deacon, with cerifers and thurifer, proceeds to the lectern to read the Gospel, first saluting the people (who stand in reverence), then censing the sacred volume.  The deacon having ended, then the priest having preached, again the choir sings God’s praises.  Next would come the offering of the Sacrifice…

But let us at the least unite ourselves to the Mass at Toledo by some participation in the Service of the Word, before in prayer making a spiritual communion as our devotion suggests.

Wisdom cries aloud, telling of the goodness of almsgiving, which (as Tobit reminds us) “purgeth away sins” (Tob. xii, 9). Jacob escapes from his long servitude in thrall to his father-in-law, whom (through a cunning strategem) Rachel delivers from idolatry, just as the Church has taken away the idols from the nations. It being a Lenten Friday, in the Threni that follows the Church cries over her members’ many sins in the words of the prophets Isaias and Jeremias.  James the Apostle warns against flattering the rich while ill-treating the poor, reminds us that to transgress one commandment is to be guilty of all, but assures us that, in God, mercy exalts over justice. Our Lord cleanses the temple, and prophesies His imminent death and resurrection.

******

Friday in the first week of Lent
Feria VI in prima hebdomada Quadragesimæ 

Sapiential Lesson: Ecclesiasticus 29,1-15
Historical Lection: Genesis 31,17-44
Threni: Cf. Jeremiah 9,18; Isaiah 22,4; 21,3-4; Jeremiah 4,31
Apostle: James 2,1-13
Gospel: St John 2,12-23
Laudes: Psalm 103,33-34 

The Lord be ever with you. R/. And with thy spirit.

A Lesson from the Book of Ecclesiasticus. R/. Thanks be to God.


Son:
He that sheweth mercy, lendeth to his neighbour: and he that is stronger in hand, keepeth the commandments. Lend to thy neighbour in the time of his need, and pay thou thy neighbour again in due time. Reap thy word, and deal faithfully with him: and thou shalt always find that which is necessary for thee. Many have looked upon a thing lent as a thing found, and have given trouble to them that helped them. Till they receive, they kiss the hands of the lender, and in promises they humble their voice: but when they should repay, they will ask time, and will return tedious and murmuring words, and will complain of the time: and if he be able to pay, he will stand off, he will scarce pay one half, and will count it as if he had found it: but if not, he will defraud him of his money, and he shall get him for an enemy without cause: and he will pay him with reproaches and curses, and instead of honour and good turn will repay him injuries. Many have refused to lend, not out of wickedness, but they were afraid to be defrauded without cause. But yet towards the poor be thou more hearty, and delay not to shew him mercy. Help the poor because of the commandment: and send him not away empty handed because of his poverty. Lose thy money for thy brother and thy friend: and hide it not under a stone to be lost. Place thy treasure in the commandments of the most High, and it shall bring thee more profit than gold. Shut up alms in the heart of the poor, and it shall obtain help for thee against all evil.
R/. Amen.

A Lesson from the Book of Genesis. R/. Thanks be to God.

In those days: 
Jacob rose up, and having set his children and wives upon camels, went his way. And he took all his substance, and flocks, and whatsoever he had gotten in Mesopotamia, and went forward to Isaac his father to the land of Chanaan. At that time Laban was gone to shear his sheep, and Rachel stole away her father's idols. And Jacob would not confess to his father in law that he was flying away. And when he was gone, together with all that belonged to him, and having passed the river, was going on towards mount Galaad, it was told Laban on the third day that Jacob fled. And he took his brethren with him, and pursued after him seven days; and overtook him in the mount of Galaad. And he saw in a dream God saying to him: Take heed thou speak not any thing harshly against Jacob. Now Jacob had pitched his tent in the mountain: and when he with his brethren had overtaken him, he pitched his tent in the same mount of Galaad. And he said to Jacob: Why hast thou done thus, to carry away, without my knowledge, my daughters, as captives taken with the sword. Why wouldst thou run away privately and not acquaint me, that I might have brought thee on the way with joy, and with songs, and with timbrels, and with harps? Thou hast not suffered me to kiss my sons and daughters: thou hast done foolishly: and now, indeed, it is in my power to return thee evil: but the God of your father said to me yesterday: Take heed thou speak not any thing harshly against Jacob. Suppose thou didst desire to go to thy friends, and hadst a longing after thy father's house: why hast thou stolen away my gods? Jacob answered: That I departed unknown to thee, it was for fear lest thou wouldst take away thy daughters by force. But whereas thou chargest me with theft: with whomsoever thou shalt find thy gods, let him be slain before our brethren. Search, and if thou find any of thy things with me, take them away. Now when he said this, he knew not that Rachel had stolen the idols. So Laban went into the tent of Jacob, and of Lia, and of both the handmaids, and found them not. And when he was entered into Rachel's tent, she in haste hid the idols under the camel's furniture, and sat upon them: and when he had searched all the tent, and found nothing, she said: Let not my lord be angry that I cannot rise up before thee, because it has now happened to me, according to the custom of women, So his careful search was in vain. And Jacob being angry, said in a chiding manner: For what fault of mine, and for what offence on my part hast thou so hotly pursued me, and searched all my household stuff? What hast thou found of all the substance of thy house? lay it here before my brethren, and thy brethren, and let them judge between me and thee. Have I therefore been with thee twenty years? thy ewes and goats were not barren, the rams of thy flocks I did not eat: neither did I shew thee that which the beast had torn, I made good all the damage: whatsoever was lost by theft, thou didst exact it of me: day and night was I parched with heat, and with frost, and sleep departed from my eyes. And in this manner have I served thee in thy house twenty years, fourteen for thy daughters, and six for thy flocks: thou hast changed also my wages ten times. Unless the God of my father Abraham, and the fear of Isaac had stood by me, peradventure now thou hadst sent me away naked: God beheld my affliction and the labour of my hands, and rebuked thee yesterday. Laban answered him: The daughters are mine and the children, and thy flocks, and all things that thou seest are mine: what can I do to my children, and grandchildren? Come therefore, let us enter into a league: that it may be for a testimony between me and thee.
R/. Amen.


Let my eyes shed tears, and my eyelids run down with waters, for the voice of lamentation is heard above me.
V/. Therefore I will weep bitterly, my heart failed, darkness amazed me.
V/. Woe is me, for my soul hath fainted, and the feelings of my heart were troubled within me.

The Epistle of the Apostle James to the Twelve Tribes. R/. Thanks be to God.

My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ of glory with respect of persons. For if there shall come into your assembly a man having a golden ring, in fine apparel, and there shall come in also a poor man in mean attire, and you have respect to him that is clothed with the fine apparel, and shall say to him: Sit thou here well; but say to the poor man: Stand thou there, or sit under my footstool: do you not judge within yourselves, and are become judges of unjust thoughts? Hearken, my dearest brethren: hath not God chosen the poor in this world, rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which God hath promised to them that love him? But you have dishonoured the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you by might? and do not they draw you before the judgment seats? Do not they blaspheme the good name that is invoked upon you? If then you fulfill the royal law, according to the scriptures, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself; you do well. But if you have respect to persons, you commit sin, being reproved by the law as transgressors. And whosoever shall keep the whole law, but offend in one point, is become guilty of all. For he that said, Thou shalt not commit adultery, said also, Thou shalt not kill. Now if thou do not commit adultery, but shalt kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law. So speak ye, and so do, as being to be judged by the law of liberty. For judgment without mercy to him that hath not done mercy. And mercy exalteth itself above judgment.
R/. Amen.

The Lord be ever with you. R/. And with thy spirit.

A Lesson from the Holy Gospel according to John. R/. Glory to Thee, O Lord.

Our Lord Jesus Christ 
went down to Capharnaum, he and his mother, and his brethren, and his disciples: and they remained there not many days. And the pasch of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. And he found in the temple them that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting. And when he had made, as it were, a scourge of little cords, he drove them all out of the temple, the sheep also and the oxen, and the money of the changers he poured out, and the tables he overthrew. And to them that sold doves he said: Take these things hence, and make not the house of my Father a house of traffic. And his disciples remembered, that it was written: The zeal of thy house hath eaten me up. The Jews, therefore, answered, and said to him: What sign dost thou shew unto us, seeing thou dost these things? Jesus answered, and said to them: Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. The Jews then said: Six and forty years was this temple in building; and wilt thou raise it up in three days? But he spoke of the temple of his body. When therefore he was risen again from the dead, his disciples remembered, that he had said this, and they believed the scripture, and the word that Jesus had said. Now when he was at Jerusalem, at the pasch, upon the festival day, many believed in his name, seeing his signs which he did.
R/. Amen.

I will sing to the Lord as long as I live:  I will sing praise to my God * While I have my being.
V/. Let my speech be acceptable to him: but I will take delight in the Lord. * While I have my being.

No comments: