Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Polish Mass for Martinmas

At James' suggestion, I went over to the Polish church (manned by Polish Franciscans, for the benefit of Polish migrants) for evening Mass at 6.30 pm.  Since it's in Polish, I brought along my old missal and basically followed the old Mass for St Martin, mutatis mutandis, not forgetting to commemorate St Mennas.  (I give the responses sotto voce in Latin.)  Polish seems to be a very long-winded language: to say anything in Polish seems to take longer than in English, let alone in Latin.

What amused me hugely at the offertory was that the younger and larger of the two concelebrating priests suddenly produced a guitar, and accompanied himself while he sang a charming if strangely familiar Polish song - I nearly burst out laughing at the incongruity of it all, especially when the mournful chorus "Alleluia, alleluia, alleluia" revealed it as a pop ballad of yesteryear appearing in translation!!!

I made my communion kneeling, as a lady did without scandal ahead of me (everyone else genuflected before receiving on the tongue), so I had no concerns about having to revert to modern reception methods.

Well, that was my first Novus Ordo since the 2nd of October; it's been so long between drinks that I can now adopt the stance of a disinterested spectator.  A curious experience.

I must say, though, I feel worse, not better, and must hope to be well enough for work to-morrow...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"the two concelebrating priests suddenly produced a guitar"

Now if ever there were words to send a shiver down one's spine...

Rob