Saturday, September 6, 2008

First Saturday

This morning dawned bright and early, and I headed over to Mass at the Pro., using (as I'm doing when possible) the Greek Prayers before and after Holy Communion.  Back in 2001, a de la Salle Brother gave me a copy of the Divine Liturgy Explained, and this, augmented with my notes and prayer cards, etc., is a very handy devotional.  While not of Byzantine Rite, I wouldn't mind some more exposure to it...

After Mass, Eucharistic Adoration, concluding with the Litany of Our Lady before the actual Benediction.  Then we had some coffee and second breakfast at the Magic Apple, a nearby cafe, before we headed off to vote (today being the Western Australian State election).

Which reminds me: just before I got to work yesterday, I had the radio on in the car, and heard live the swearing in of Australia's new Governor-General.  I like what remains of proper ceremony, so was pleased to hear the reading out of Queen Elizabeth's commission under the current Letters Patent, to hear the oath of allegiance and the oath of office taken ("...so help me God"), administered to Ms Bryce by the Chief Justice of the High Court, and then to have Her Excellency's proclamation assuming office read.

While I'm following the American elections with interest, I'm glad we do things differently.  (Why do folks in the States love vulgar hoopla?)

No comments: