Sunday, August 2, 2009

Vespers in the Graveyard

Despite the threatening weather, on the way home from Hobart I stopt and, moved by the Spirit perhaps, decided to pray in the Pontville Catholic cemetery where my godmother Elizabeth is buried: so I walked that hallowed ground, where rest those sown by Christ the Sower to rise again at the end of time to face the General Doom, and for their souls read Vespers of the Dead (Placebo).

It's been too long since I've visited a graveyard: it's a real moral tonic. Memento mori!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

'so I walked that hallowed ground, where rest those sown by Christ the Sower to rise again at the end of time to face the General Doom'

Josh, this is quite moving.

I am back in Perth by the way. Happy to be back in spacious Australia.

Rob

Joshua said...

Nice to hear from you, Rob!

Do send a full account of your adventures in Merrie England - suitably edited, it could make a superb posting!

Anonymous said...

Brighton cemetary? Don't you mean the Catholic cemetary at Pontville?
My visits to the cemetary get longer each time I go: so many old friends and family to visit and pray for.

Anonymous said...

Will do Josh!

Rob

Joshua said...

Oh yes, it is Pontville - Brighton is the township before it. I'll correct my posting above.