Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Diagnosis

Do not go gentle into that long night:
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
– Dylan Thomas

Keith, my elderly father (who will soon turn 83), has just been diagnosed with Parkinson's Dementia Complex, which essentially means that his aphasia, forgetfulness and motor skills will continue to decline more and more, until he no longer recognizes even us his family.

Dad has been a kindly bloke and a loving father, but withal one of that generation that never much shared feelings or inner thoughts. Especially as he is not a Catholic nor a church-going man, I would respectfully ask for all to join me in praying for him; for him I have said often the Memorare:

Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a sæculo, quemquam ad tua currentem præsida, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia ad te, Virgo virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere, sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Josh, what awful news... I have no idea what to say, and I know little anyone says can help much. You and your family are very much in my prayers. This is going to be trying for you all, and increasingly always. Sancta Maria, ora pro nobis!

Fraser Pearce said...

You and your family will be in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Josh,

Sorry to hear. My prayers will be with you and your family. Your comment about your father being of that generation that never much shared feelings or inner thoughts, is one I can identify with, as my father is very similar.

Rob