Saturday, September 27, 2008

AFL Grand Final Report

Robert, Michael and I - and another friend - shared a carton of Cascade Premium Light (Rob and I are from Tasmania, and I used to live round the corner from Cascade Brewery, pictured) and various nibbles, while watching the match of the year: and it was Hawthorn's return to the top, with a fourth-quarter success over a dogged but ill-aiming Geelong; the scores say it all: 18.7 (153) to 11.23 (89) - the Cats wasting far too many opportunities on behinds, not goals.  So we finished up with two bottles of champagne, to celebrate the Hawks' first premiership since 1991.  I rang Dad, from whom I learnt to be a Hawthorn supporter, and he reminded me that he was at the match that was their first grand final victory, back in 1961.

In between beers, being all of us interested in theology, we talked about Rob's doctoral research into the pre-history of the Oxford Movement, looking at a book about the alleged ethos thereof, and what this implies about the links between faith and the moral life - that sanctity and the apprehension of truth go hand in hand, whereas vice and infidelity lamentably conspire together - and agreed to catch up again soon.  Rob, you're a fine host!

It was a good day to watch footy, as this old ad illustrates:



Now, for some rest; I feel worn out after an arvo spent on the turps...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Joshua,

We didn't know you liked your footy! We're mad footy supporters and love playing it, Scott goes for Carlton and I go for Essendon. But yesterday we were barracking for Hawthorn, being the underdogs.

It was an excellent Grand Final, and the Hawks played good footy. Clinton Young was outstanding until he got injured, and guys like Birchall, Ellis and Sewell all played well. Shame Buddy didn'y carve up, but Rioli showed some magic which was exciting!

Well done, congrats on the win!

Anonymous said...

My pleasure Josh. Had a good time. We'll have to catch up soon.

P.S. Thanks for nutting out a basic definition of 'ethos' for me. I think the introduction of that book would have benifited with that very point you just made!

-Robert