Monday, September 29, 2008

Private Morning Prayers

These days, upon getting up, these are the short prayers I usually say before having breakfast:

+In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  Amen.

Awake, O sleeper, arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on thee.  (Eph. v, 14)

O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness: let the whole earth stand in awe of Him.  (Ps 95(96):9)

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost:
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.  Amen.

Make me a praise of Thy glory, O Most Holy Trinity, consubstantial and undivided.  (Cf. Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity; Eph. i, 6. 12. 14)

O my God, I believe in Thee, and in all that Thy Holy Church teacheth, for Thou hast said it and Thy word is true.

O my God, I hope in Thee for grace and for glory, because of Thy promises, Thy mercy, and Thy power.

O my God, I love Thee with all my heart, and for Thy sake I love my neighbour as myself.

O my God, I am very sorry that I have sinned against Thee, because Thou art so good, and with Thy help I will not sin again.

Dignare, Domine, die isto, sine peccato nos custodire.

Dignare me laudare te, Virgo sacrata: da mihi virtutem contra hostes tuos.

I am all Thine, and all that I am is Thine, O most loving Jesus, through Mary, Thy Holy Mother.

Maria, Mater gratiæ, 
Mater misericordiæ, 
Tu me ab hoste protege 
Et mortis hora suscipe.  Amen.

Gaude, Maria Virgo, cunctas hæreses sola interemisti in universo mundo.

Sancti Dei omnes, intercedere dignemini pro nostra omniumque salute.

Angeli, Archangeli, Throni et Dominationes, Principatus et Potestates, Virtutes cælorum, Cherubim atque Seraphim, laudate Dominum in excelsis, et intercedite pro nobis.

Sancti Angeli, custodes nostri, defendite nos in prœlio, ut non pereamus in tremendo judicio.

Angele Dei, qui custos es mei, me tibi commissum pietate superna, hodie illumina, custodi, rege et guberna.

And then the Angelus, a favourite prayer (see further here).

(I have also written further on why we should have great devotion to the angels.)

No comments: