Sunday, May 17, 2009

Request for Prayers

My mum is going into hospital on Wednesday for an operation: of your charity, please keep her in your prayers.

******

Matthias (see comments) suggested Psalm 27 (26 in the Vulgate) as a good prayer to pray; here it is in the Grail Version familiar to me from the modern Divine Office:

Psalm 27(26) Dominus illuminatio

1 The Lord is my light and my help;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
before whom shall I shrink?

2 When evil-doers draw near
to devour my flesh,
it is they, my enemies and foes,
who stumble and fall.

3 Though an army encamp against me
my heart would not fear.
Though war break out against me
even then would I trust.

4 There is one thing I ask of the Lord,
for this I long,
to live in the house of the Lord,
all the days of my life,
to savor the sweetness of the Lord,
to behold his temple.

5 For there he keeps me safe in his tent
in the day of evil.
He hides me in the shelter of his tent,
on a rock he sets me safe.

6 And now my head shall be raised
above my foes who surround me
and I shall offer within his tent
a sacrifice of joy.

I will sing and make music for the Lord.

7 O Lord, hear my voice when I call;
have mercy and answer.
8 Of you my heart has spoken:
"Seek his face."

It is your face, O Lord, that I seek;
9 hide not your face.
Dismiss not your servant in anger;
you have been my help.

Do not abandon or forsake me,
O God my help!
10 Though father and mother forsake me,
the Lord will receive me.

11 Instruct me, Lord, in your way;
on an even path lead me.
12 When they lie in ambush protect me
from my enemy's greed.
False witnesses rise against me,
breathing out fury.

13 I am sure I shall see the Lord's goodness
in the land of the living.
14 Hope in him, hold firm and take heart.
Hope in the Lord!

2 comments:

matthias said...

Joshua, from my own experiences ,as both a nurse and as a son,can i suggest the reading of Psalm 27 .
I get great heart from reading
The Lord is the defence of my life
whom shall i fear?

It is a Psalm of fearless trust in God to quote from the top of the psalm. I will pray for your mother and that she makes a good recovery

Joshua said...

Thanks, Matthias, for your kind words.