Monday, June 7, 2010

Lord let me know mine end

How Anglicans learnt the Scriptures – an elegaic full anthem by Maurice Greene (1696-1755), complete with its "walking" bass, on the text of Psalm 39:5-8,13,15 (or Psalm 38 in the Vulgate) in the Prayer Book Version (which, as I quote it from the Book of Divine Worship, is ipso facto an approved Catholic version of the Psalms):


Lord, let me know mine end, and the number of my days; that I may be certified how long I have to live. 
Behold, thou hast made my days as it were a span long, and mine age is even as nothing in respect of thee; and verily every man living is altogether vanity. 
For man walketh in a vain shadow, and disquieteth himself in vain; he heapeth up riches, and cannot tell who shall gather them. 
And now, Lord, what is my hope? truly my hope is even in thee. 
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and with thine ears consider my calling; hold not thy peace at my tears; 
O spare me a little, that I may recover my strength, before I go hence, and be no more seen.

No comments: