Sunday, August 3, 2014

First Sunday of August

After some very stormy weather the last several days, it was a joy to have only a few patches of fog amid otherwise bright sunshine on the drive down to Hobart. There was a good attendance at our Missa cantata for the 8th Sunday after Pentecost, and the drive back was likewise fast and uneventful.

Being given to odd thoughts, I was reflecting on how, acting as M.C., I kneel less and stand more than anyone except the priest: I kneel for the prayers at the foot of the altar and answer his prayers; I kneel for the Et incarnatus est during the Creed; I kneel at the priest's left during the Consecration and Elevation, from Qui pridie to the in mei memoriam facietis; I kneel for the priest's own Communion and my own, and again when he returns any leftover Hosts to the tabernacle; and that's it (aside from many genuflections of course). And, like some Roman Emperor of old, everyone genuflects towards me – so to speak! – but only when I hold the altar card for the priest to read the Last Gospel.

NEWS FLASH: As well as a sung Latin Mass on the third Sunday of August (the 17th, which will be the tenth after Pentecost) at 10:30 am at Sacred Heart, New Town, our visiting celebrant, Fr Christopher, will sing Mass for the Assumption of Our Lady at 7:30 pm on Friday the 15th of August, likewise at Sacred Heart.

2 comments:

Auriel Ragmon said...

We Orthodox Christians would say to you Western Catholics: Standing is your podvig (spiritual combat) as MC. And just think! Eastern Christians have to stand up most of the time, sometimes for more than one hour...
Be grateful, brother!
Rdr. James Morgan
Olympia, WA

PS Whatever happened to the Dormitionists? I miss them! And sometimes emulate them....

Joshua said...

The Dormitionists are currently in the midst of their General Chapter, whose wise decrees I hope to disseminate in the not too distant future; in the meanwhile, let us do as they do, and rest in the Lord.

Many thanks for your wise comments; my legs still recall enduring standing at a Russian rite ordination and Liturgy that went for three hours and a quarter…