Friday, November 4, 2011

God bless the Trappists

God bless the Trappists of the Abbey of Our Lady of Scourmont – better known as the producers of that most holy refreshment, Chimay beer.

I was careful, ere I partook, to pray the prayer for the blessing of beer, that this beverage may aid me "in body and in soul"; here is the original Latin (which I adapt for lay use):


V/. Adjutorium nostrum in nomine Domini.
R/. Qui fecit cælum et terram.
V/. Dominus vobiscum.
R/. Et cum spiritu tuo.


Oremus.


Benedic, Domine, creaturam istam cerevisiæ, quam ex adipe frumenti producere dignatus es: ut sit remedium salutare humano generi, et præsta per invocationem nominis tui sancti; ut, quicumque ex ea biberint, sanitatem corpus et animæ tutelam percipiant. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. R/. Amen.

Given the great time I had on the recent Christus Rex Pilgrimage, I have stored up the courage to attempt the Paris to Chartres Pilgimage next year, and have applied for the necessary time off work in order to do so.

How good it is that that pilgrimage is from Notre-Dame de Paris to Notre-Dame de Chartres; how good it is to have at hand the blessings of Notre-Dame de Scourmont.  Ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus!

P.S.  The good monks make cheese as well as beer; this inspired me to cut some brie to nibble with my drink, ne potus noceat.

No comments: