LET us walk honestly, as in the day: not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and impurities, not in contention and envy. (Romans 13:13)
Psalm 59. Eripe me de inimicis
DELIVER me from mine enemies, O God : defend me from them that rise up against me.
2. O deliver me from the wicked doers : and save me from the blood-thirsty men.
3. For lo, they lie waiting for my soul : the mighty men are gathered against me, without any offence or fault of me, O Lord.
4. They run and prepare themselves without my fault : arise thou therefore to help me, and behold.
5. Stand up, O Lord God of hosts, thou God of Israel, to visit all the heathen : and be not merciful unto them that offend of malicious wickedness.
6. They go to and fro in the evening : they grin like a dog, and run about through the city.
7. Behold, they speak with their mouth, and swords are in their lips : for who doth hear?
8. But thou, O Lord, shalt have them in derision : and thou shalt laugh all the heathen to scorn.
9. My strength will I ascribe unto thee : for thou art the God of my refuge.
10. God sheweth me his goodness plenteously : and God shall let me see my desire upon mine enemies.
11. Slay them not, lest my people forget it : but scatter them abroad among the people, and put them down, O Lord, our defence.
12. For the sin of their mouth, and for the words of their lips, they shall be taken in their pride : and why? their preaching is of cursing and lies.
13. Consume them in thy wrath, consume them, that they may perish : and know that it is God that ruleth in Jacob, and unto the ends of the world.
14. And in the evening they will return : grin like a dog, and will go about the city.
15. They will run here and there for meat : and grudge if they be not satisfied.
16. As for me, I will sing of thy power, and will praise thy mercy betimes in the morning : for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble.
17. Unto thee, O my strength, will I sing : for thou, O God, art my refuge, and my merciful God.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son : and to the Holy Ghost;
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be : world without end. Amen.
O God, make speed to save us.
O Lord, make haste to help us.
In the time of War and Tumults.
O ALMIGHTY God, King of all kings, and Governor of all things, whose power no creature is able to resist, to whom it belongeth justly to punish sinners, and to be merciful to those who truly repent; Save and deliver us, we humbly beseech thee, from the hands of our enemies; abate their pride, assuage their malice, and confound their devices; that we, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore from all perils, to glorify thee, who art the only giver of all victory; through the merits of thy Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Saint Paul, in his Epistle to the Romans, the thirteenth Chapter, doth give this commandment to all men:
LET every soul be subject to higher powers: for there is no power but from God: and those that are, are ordained of God. Therefore he that resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. And they that resist, purchase to themselves damnation. For princes are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good: and thou shalt have praise from the same. For he is God’s minister to thee, for good. But if thou do that which is evil, fear: for he beareth not the sword in vain. For he is God’s minister: an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil. Wherefore be subject of necessity, not only for wrath, but also for conscience’ sake. For therefore also you pay tribute. For they are the ministers of God, serving unto this purpose. Render therefore to all men their dues. Tribute, to whom tribute is due: custom, to whom custom: fear, to whom fear: honour, to whom honour.
Hear also what Saint Peter saith:
Hear also what Saint Peter saith:
I Peter 2:13-15a
Be ye subject therefore to every human creature for God’s sake: whether it be to the king as excelling; or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of the good: for so is the will of God.
GOD spake these words, and said: Thou shalt not steal.
Lord, have mercy upon us, and incline our hearts to keep this law.
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, nor any thing that is his.
Lord, have mercy upon us, and write all these thy laws in our hearts, we beseech thee.
From all sedition, privy conspiracy, and rebellion,
Good Lord, deliver us.
That all in authority may truly and impartially administer justice, to the punishment of wickedness and vice,
We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord.
Lord, have mercy upon us.
Christ, have mercy upon us.
Lord, have mercy upon us.
OUR Father, which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, As it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, As we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. Amen.
V/. Every violent taking of spoils, with tumult, and garment mingled with blood,
R/. Shall be burnt, and be fuel for the fire. (Isaias 9:5)
Let us pray.
For restoring Publick Peace at Home.
O ETERNAL God, our heavenly Father, Who alone makest men to be of one mind in a house, and stillest the outrage of a violent and unruly people; We bless thy holy Name, that it hath pleased thee to appease the seditious tumults which have been lately raised up amongst us; most humbly beseeching thee to grant to all of us grace, that we may henceforth obediently walk in thy holy commandments; and, leading a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty, may continually offer unto thee our sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving for these thy mercies towards us; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost, have mercy upon us, save us now and evermore. Amen.