Monday, January 7, 2008

In (a) Country Churchyard(s) – Part II

A.  Having made my intended visit to St Michael's Church, Campbell Town, I can now post the inscriptions on the three priests' gravestones:


1.  (On the right, not the left):

IN 
MEMORY 
OF 
The Very Rev. 
D.V.M. O'CONNELL 
O.S.B. 
Died 12th Sep. 1901. 
Aged 77 Years.  
Requiescat in Pace.


2.  In the middle:

MAY THE SACRED HEART OF JESUS BE EVERYWHERE LOVED 

PRAY FOR 
REV. FATHER 
HENRY CHETAIL M.S.H. [*]
WHO DIED 
MARCH 15TH 1904 
The good Shepherd gives his life for his sheep

[*siclege HENRI CHETAIL M.S.C.] 


3.  On the left (not the right):

"Give thanks to the Lord" 
"His mercy endures for ever" 
Rev Fr 
Leo Bernard Kirkham 
Died 11th April 1985 
Aged 69 years 
Ordained priest of God 
Rome 1953 
May he rest in peace.


Having checked with a knowledgeable friend, I can confirm that Fr Kirkham was a late vocation (he would have been about 37 when he was ordained – I expect he attended the Beda), and a good priest; as the others also were, God rest them: 

Sacerdotes in æternum, requiescant in pace.  Amen.


B.  And how could I forget? – while I didn't have a chance to stop and pay my respects, at another country graveyard nearer Hobart, next to St Matthew's, Pontville, is buried my godmother, Elizabeth Compton: 

May the soul of Elizabeth, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.  Amen.


I managed to say a passing De profundis for the priests, and one for my godmother, while travelling to and from Hobart...   A good reminder to pray for the dead.

No comments: